Friday, August 21, 2009

Deep and Dark and Dangerous


I read this book because a lot of my fourth grade girls last year loved it. Some boys are even into some of her other books too. I thought this one was okay, but I would definitely not have liked it as a ten year old girl! I am not going to lie: it did freak me out a little bit. Yes, it was very predictable and you can tell that it was written for tweens and young teens, but it was still just a little bit creepy. But you have to remember that this is coming from someone who doesn't watch scary movies anymore because even the corny ones keep her up at night. So take this review with a grain of salt. But, if you do have a younger child who is interested in this author, please proceed with caution.


Even though it was spooky, I think I will read MDH's Wait Til Helen Comes next. I read this book in sixth grade and don't remember a thing about it except that I liked it. I don't even think it scared me then (but neither did the movies at that time - it's amazing what living alone will do to you!). Plus I have a boy in my class who is reading a copy from my class library right now. He is a bit of a difficult student and maybe, just maybe, we could make a connection through this author/genre??

No comments:

Post a Comment