Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Growing TBR List

How is it that my To Be Read List can get so out of control sometimes?? For example, right now I have ten books on my list:

  1. How to Train a Dragon by Cressida Cowell (The movie looks cute so of course I wanted to read the book first!) FINISHED 03/10
  2. The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis (Again, the movie looks good and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE most sport stories.) FINISHED 03/25
  3. Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore FINISHED 04/15
  4. Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood by Jenny McCarthy (Loved Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Being Pregnant. In a lot of ways she is so dead-on it's scary!) FINISHED 04/04
  5. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (A recent Newbery Winner, looks spooky) FINISHED 04/30
  6. Chasing Vermeer by Blue Billiett (Comes highly recommended by one of the Scholastic staffers that I have always agreed with)
  7. Nancy Drew 5 - The Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn Keene (for the Nancy Drew Reading Challenge) FINISHED 03/28
  8. Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf (Can't remember where I saw it reviewed, but it sounds really good)
  9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Almost half way through the audio book - but it's 13 HOURS LONG!! I also have the actual book to read too.) FINISHED (04/13)
  10. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling (reread) (Because I heart HP and it's for the Harry Potter Reading Challenge)
So my new goal is going to be not to add any more books to my list until I have read at least 6 of the 10 listed above. Can I do it???? I don't know. It's going to be tough, that's for sure. There are just too many good books out there!

How do I decide which books to read first?
Good question. Lately the library has been deciding for me. I love BGPL, especially since they make it so easy to request books. I can go to the online catalog to find books I like. If they are checked out, or are not checked in at the branch closest to me, I can have them sent to the branch of my choice. If the book is available, it only takes a day or two. But for popular books, like Julie and Julia and The Blindside, I may have to wait several days or even weeks! And then when I finally get the book, I only have two weeks to read it since someone is usually waiting for it after me (and I HATE to pay fines!). On the other hand, I have the library here at school too. Books checked out from this library do not have to be turned in by a certain time, so I can keep them as long as needed. But if I keep them too long, I start to feel guilty thinking about the kids who can't check it out just because it is gathering dust in my stack.

So my hope is that by posting about my problem, I will stick to my goal of reading 6/10 before moving on to any others! Some of these are pretty short so I should be able to kick them pretty fast!

Update 03/19 - So my turn just came up for another book that I have been waiting on for weeks from the pubic library. Since it is probably requested by someone else after me, I will need to read it as soon as I finish the one I am on. THEN back to the list!

Update 03/25 - I really do want to read all of the books on this list, I promise! But there are just so many books out there that it is hard to make myself stick to a list of just 10 books! So we'll see. I am already feeling VERY tempted to read other books before I get to some of these...

Update 04/15 - Finally! 6/10 Read!
How am I doing???
7/10 Read

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem- too many books not enough time!

    But you are a much faster reader than I am, so I think you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is a pretty common problem!

    and i don't think it's so much that i am a fast reader, but that a lot of the books i read are juvenile fiction or young adult! but what can i say? i love 'em!

    ReplyDelete