Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March Books

One of my favorite things to do in the whole wide world is to talk about books. I love, love, love to hear about books people are reading - why they're reading it, do they like it or not and why, would they recommend it, and so on. And I love to talk about the books that I have read. If it's good I want everyone I know to read it. And if it's not so good, well then I don't want my my friends to waste their precious time reading it.

That's one of the reasons I love the blog world so much. There are people out there just like me! People who do not think it is a huge waste of time to make reading lists and to set reading goals and to share with each other about books. And even though I love reading "Book Blogs," I would still much rather sit across from you on the couch and goosh over a book than write it up in paragraphs. Partly because when I blog about a book I never really feel like I am really doing it justice.

So here's my solution. Instead of pulling teeth to write something eloquent about each and every book I read, I will instead do a monthly summary. Some books may get paragraphs, some may get sentences, and some may get bulleted lists. And no promises that any of them will qualify as eloquent!

So here goes March...

1.) Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (03/06)
Eh, this one was just okay for me. I haven't seen the movie yet and the book didn't really leave me wanting to run out and see it ASAP. Julie was likable enough I guess, but I had trouble relating to her in a lot of ways. She seemed pretty negative at times and ranted a lot about all of the "dumb Republicans" she worked for. If you know me, you know that didn't really sit well. I did find some of her descriptions of cooking the food interesting, but it seemed like a lot of food I would never eat. We're plain folk around the Borland homestead. Plus, some of her descriptions were down right disgusting. I mean, really, I could have lived a fully happy, healthy life never knowing how lobsters are killed or how marrow is dug out of a bone. Yuck. Combine that with my queasy pregnant gag reflex and, well, you can just imagine.

2.) How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (03/10)
This book was too cute! And, unlike my first book of the month, it did leave me wanting to see its movie version. This book is pretty short and filled with cute kid-like sketches. This made it a super fast read. But, unlike some fast reads, it still had substance. The hero was likable and very relatable for a wide age range. The plot kept me pulled in and waiting to see what happened next. I definitely plan on checking out the other books in this series in the near future.

3.) The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (03/25)
I loved, loved, loved this book. I don't know what it is about this month and my apparent "movie theme." I promise it's not on purpose. But this book definitely DID leave me wanting to see the movie version. I fell in love with Michael Oher and would like to research more about him. His story is absolutely incredible! The only thing others may or may not like about this book is that part of it (like whole chapters) is devoted strictly to the history and strategy of the NFL. These chapters were still interesting and I did learn a little. Sometimes, though, I was kinda confused. But the confusion never lasted long and didn't effect the book at all. Plus, I am lucky enough to have a football-lovin' husband to (not s0) patiently explain things to me when needed. : )

4.) Nancy Drew 5 - The Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn Keene (03/28)
This one was my fifth Nancy Drew of the year. I'm working on reading a lot of them for this challenge. I liked the plot of this one, but a few of the same things annoyed me. Like how Nancy and her girlfriends are out of high school, but have no jobs and no plans for college or anything. Also, Bess, one of Nancy's friends seems to be maybe a little heavier than the other girls - and this fact is apparently important enough to allude to several times, always in a negative way.

5.) Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (03/30)
The second installment of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. This one surely did not disappoint! I had to speed through this one because it was requested by someone else at the library, but I probably would have read it just as fast anyway because it was so good! I can't wait to get my hands on the third one. I definitely recommend this series to anyone ages 10-110.

6.) Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices (03/31)
This book was really neat. It was a very quick read (like, less than 20 minutes), but since it is part of my Newbery Challenge, I am going to count it. As you might have guessed, the book is full of poems meant to be read by two people. The poetry is great and the way it is presented is even better. I think I may have my higher reading group work with a few of these just to see how they do. Plus, I have no doubt these poems will sound better when read aloud the way they were meant to be. 

7.) A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers by Nancy Willard (03/31)
Once again, this is a very short book, but since it is for my Newbery Challenge, I am going to count it. This is another collection of poems, but I was not nearly as impressed with this one as Joyful Noise. Sorry Newbery committee, you missed your mark this year. Especially since one of 1982's Honor Books was Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I mean, come on - Ramona could whip the pants off this book!

1 comment:

  1. 1. Totally agree with you about Julie and Julia... I ended up disliking her alot. But for some reason I want to read her other book on marriage?? Anyhow-- Watch the movei! It is alot less negative and super cute! And hardly any of the political stuff made it in. The julie in the movie is precious. And Julia is wonderful too.

    2. You should do a post on when you read... like how you find the time to read all of those books! Do you watch tv or just read at night?? I would be interested.

    ReplyDelete